Leafy Spurge is classified as a noxious weed under the Alberta Weed Control Act and therefore holds an obligation to be controlled. Some control methods include grazing, cultivation, mechanical, chemical, and biological control.
In support of private landowners that are needing assistance to suppress the spread of Leafy Spurge, Flagstaff County has brought back the Leafy Spurge Program based on the following:
- 50/50 cost share basis between the County and landowner;
- Treatment by contracted services to areas over 20 acres and areas that are inaccessible (an estimate of $140.50/acre was provided by an aerial herbicide applicator with a minimum contract of 150 total acres);
- Treatment by in-house resources to accessible areas under 20 acres;
- Proposed net budget of $50,000 for the first year and then re-evaluation to determine future requirements.
(780) 384-4138 (direct line)(780) 384-3635 (fax)