Upcoming Workshops & Events
This unique tree planting workshop is slated for June 7 from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Larry and Rosanne Bingham's farm on Hwy 41 south of Vermilion.
Guest speakers from Agroforestry and Woodlot Extension Society, as well as Lloyd's Limb Service Inc., will talk about:
- function and importance of eco-buffers and shelterbelts;
- how to design and create effective habitats for pollinators and wildlife;
- tree and shrub care, plus planting tips!
A free lunch will be provided.
Save the Date: The 15th annual Grazing School for Women is scheduled for June 13 and 14, 2017, at Lakeland College Canada in Vermilion.
This much-anticipated event has evolved over the years into a fun way for rural ladies to get together to learn and discuss current ranching trends in a comfortable atmosphere.
The lineup of speakers and schedule of activities have yet to be finalized, but this year’s milestone event promises to provide participants with the latest information and trends in the livestock industry.
For registration information, contact Linda Boyd, Assistant Agricultural Fieldman at the County of Two Hills, by phone at (780) 657-3358 or via email.
This year’s Alberta Open Farm Days, the fifth annual, runs August 19-20, 2017. The deadline for farms to register to participate is May 31. New this year, farms can choose which day(s) they would like to participate (Saturday, Sunday, or both).
Open Farm Days is a catalyst for stimulating economic prosperity by promoting the Alberta agriculture story. Last year’s event had close to 18,000 visits and $134,000 in on-farm sales at 92 participating farms and 26 farm-to-table culinary events.
And if you’re looking for some ideas or advice, here are some great multimedia resources to get you started:
- Bear and the Flower Farm created an excellent guest experience last year, captured in this short YouTube video. While you don’t need all of these elements to have a successful event, it provides some real inspiration on what is possible.
- Keleigh Cormier, an experienced agritourism coach, recently shared some of the keys to success and benefits to participating in Open Farm Days in two Call of the Land radio interviews: Interview No. 1, Interview No. 2.
- Producer Tip Videos (previously available, but still highly relevant).
No events are scheduled at this time. Please check back as events will be added as they are scheduled.
It's no secret, running a farm direct business means paying attention to many moving parts that often take you out of the field and into the office. That's why Alberta Agriculture and Forestry is hosting a series of webinars for producers and processors that will help build savvy marketing and staffing skills.
Register by clicking on each individual link or go online to explorelocal.ca/events
To view the full listing of webinars running through April Click here
Crop Production Workshop - Presentations
This workshop was held on March 15, 2017. Below are the slides from two of the presentations given during the workshop.