The citizens of Flagstaff County have a right to expect from its local Municipal Government, one that is conducted with integrity and in a professional manner. Therefore it is imperative that there not be, nor appear to be, any conflict between the private interests of elected officials and appointed board members and their duty to the public.
Accordingly, it is the purpose of these codes of conduct to outline certain basic rules for elected municipal government officials in Alberta so that they may carry out their entrusted duties with impartiality and dignity, recognizing that the function of Council members is, at all times, service to their community and the public.
To further these objectives, certain principles should govern the conduct of Council members of Flagstaff County in order that they shall maintain the highest standards in public office and faithfully discharge the duties of office.
Council Members of Flagstaff County shall abide by the following rules and principles:
- GOVERN their conduct in accordance with the requirements and obligations set out in the municipal legislation of Province of Alberta (Municipal Government Act);
- COMMIT to ethical, businesslike and lawful conduct, including proper use of authority and appropriate decorum when acting as Council members;
- REPRESENT, as a primary obligation superseding all other interests, the best interests of the community of Flagstaff County;
- SERVE in a liaison role when appointed as members of committees or boards;
- AVOID conflict of interest, by refraining from self-dealing or any conduct of private business or personal services between any Council members and the corporation, except as provided by the Municipal Government Act;
- NOT USE their positions to obtain employment with the corporation for themselves, family members or close associates;
- NOT USE confidential information for the personal profit of themselves or any other person;
- DISCLOSE their affiliations or interest with an organization that may affect their decision making on matters before Council regarding that organization;
- NOT ATTEMPT TO EXERCISE individual authority over the corporation;
- RECOGNIZE, when interacting with the Chief Administrative Officer or with staff, the lack of authority vested in a Councillor except when explicitly Council authorized;
- RECOGNIZE, when interacting with the public, press or other entities, the same limitation and the inability of any Council member to speak for the Council except to repeat explicitly stated Council decisions;
- DIRECT any comments on staff performance to the Chief Administrative Officer;
- AVOID public comment on staff performance;
- RESPECT the confidentiality of issues that are determined by policy of Council to be confidential and not communicate confidential information to anyone not entitled to receive same;
- PRESERVE the integrity and impartiality of Council;
For a period of twelve (12) months after leaving office, abide by the standards of conduct listed above, except those related to confidential information, which shall apply in perpetuity;
Members of municipal Council shall not assume that any unethical activities not covered by or specifically prohibited by this code of conduct, or any legislation, are therefore condoned.
Members of this Council agree to uphold the intent of these guidelines and to govern their actions accordingly.
Values of Council
As a Council, we hold the following to be our guiding Values:
- Respect for individuals and each other
- Honesty and integrity
- Willingness to listen
- Willingness to participate
- Commitment to task at hand
- Receptive to new ideas
- Dedication to preparation
- Mutual support through positive feedback
- Speak with one voice